March 10

0 comments

How Many Sclerotherapy Sessions Does It Take to Treat Spider Veins?

By Dr. Jose Almeida

March 10, 2020

sclerotherapy, spider veins

Spider veins are a result of the small veins on the skin surface that malfunction, leading to a discoloration on the skin. Sclerotherapy is a treatment used to treat spider veins. It requires the use of a chemical that is inserted into the spider veins that causes a reaction in the vein that eventually scars the vein. The sclerotherapy treatment usually takes around four sessions to treat spider veins.

Resource: Sclerotherapy in Miami

Video: Top 10 Things about Sclerotherapy for Spider Veins

What happens after treatment to the vein? Any pain?

Once the vein is scarred, this allows the body to dispose of the scarred vein, leading to reduction and disappearance of the spider veins. The procedure is usually well tolerated with less pain than a laser therapy treatment, which can also be used to treat spider veins.

Sclerotherapy for Small Varicose Veins. Varicose Preferred in most cases.

Sclerotherapy may also be useful for smaller varicose veins, however laser therapy is still the preferred treatment for varicose veins, while sclerotherapy is the preferred treatment for spider veins. 

"For the most part, 4 sessions of sclerotherapy can provide optimal spider vein removal in about 80% of patients." - Dr. Almeida 

Click here to book a consultation, call 305-842-3457 or click here to text us.

How Long Until I Can See Results from Sclerotherapy?

One of the most important concerns when considering sclerotherapy, is how many treatments may be necessary for successful removal of spider veins. There are several factors that can influence the number of treatments necessary for results, such as level of disease, medical history, genetic predisposition, and the physician’s experience with the sclerotherapy treatment. For the most part, 4 sessions of sclerotherapy can provide optimal spider vein removal in about 80% of patients. The other 20% may require up to 16 sessions of sclerotherapy for optimal results.

spider veins before and after treatment

Spider Veins Before and After Treatment Example

What Aftercare is Needed Following a Sclerotherapy Procedure?

There are specific post procedural instructions after sclerotherapy that help to heal the treatment area and spider veins. After a treatment session is completed, a small bandage will be placed over the area, which should remain in place for 24-48 hours. Vigorous activities, such as running and jumping, should be avoided for the first 2 weeks after treatment, but walking daily with slow increases in speed and distance is necessary to help with adequate blood flow.

Compression is also a mainstay of follow up care. Compression garments should be worn, most of the time, for 1-2 weeks after a treatment session, which prevents pooling of the blood in the veins. Even though following these instructions is important to improve recovery time, they won’t reduce the amount of treatment sessions that are necessary to fully treat the spider veins.  

Video: All About Sclerotherapy for Spider Veins

Click here to book a consultation, call 305-842-3457 or click here to text us.

Summary on Sclerotherapy Sessions for Spider Veins

Sclerotherapy is the best treatment choice for spider veins and laser therapy is a better option for varicose veins. Most people can receive results from sclerotherapy in a little as 4 treatment sessions. If you’re considering sclerotherapy as a treatment option for your spider veins, visit with a board certified vascular surgeon that has expertise in sclerotherapy to have the best possible outcome for your spider veins. 

Dr. Jose Almeida

About the author

Dr. Jose Almeida, MD, FACS, RPVI, RVT is a veteran academic vascular surgeon who practices Endovascular Venous Surgery in Miami, FL. He is also a Diplomate of the American Board of Surgery in both Vascular Surgery and General Surgery.

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Request a Consultation with the Vein Experts at Miami Vein Center.

>